The first step in being able to purchase Medical Cannabis is to obtain a Medical Marijuana (MMJ) card. The steps to obtain a card are set by the Mississippi Department of Health and are listed below:
STEP 1: Identify the health condition that qualifies for a medical marijuana card and schedule an appointment with your healthcare provider.
The only way to obtain a medical marijuana card is to have a health condition that qualifies for it. The health conditions that qualify are:
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Huntington’s Disease
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Spastic Quadriplegia
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
- Crohn’s Disease
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Sickle-Cell Anemia
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Spinal cord disease or severe injury
- Health conditions that produce
- Severe nausea
- Severe Muscle Spasms
STEP 2: Visit a certified medical cannabis practitioner
Once the health condition is identified, your healthcare provider will complete the necessary certification for the MMJ card. If you are under age 21, you must have certifications from two practitioners.
STEP 3: Send in your application for the Medical Cannabis Program
Once your healthcare provider provides you with the Medical Cannabis certification, you must submit your own application. This must be done within 60 days of receiving the certificate from your healthcare provider
STEP 4: Receive Electronic Identification Card
You will receive your Electronic Identification Card, which will have a valid duration of a maximum of one year.
STEP 5: Select Your Dispensary
Once you receive your Electronic Identification Card, you will then select your licensed dispensary to purchase your medical cannabis. SOAR is working to provide the best and highest quality medical cannabis in Mississippi and we highly encourage you to purchase our medical cannabis where available. We will constantly keep our website updated on where you can purchase our products.
- The standard nonrefundable fee for a Registered Qualifying Patient Identification is $25.00.
- The nonrefundable fee for a 100% disabled veteran or disabled first responder is waived. A disabled veteran or disabled first responder may prove their disability by providing written documentation to the Department from the Social Security Disability Office or documentation that attests the applicant is a 100% disabled veteran as determined by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs.
- The nonrefundable fee for a Mississippi Medicaid participant shall be $15.00. Medicaid status will be verified at the time of application.
For more information, visit the Mississippi Department of Health.
To purchase medical cannabis from a dispensary, you must have a current MMJ card with the exception of Topical products.
In Mississippi, the forms of medical cannabis available to purchase at registered dispensaries include:
- Vape Cartridges
Weekly and Monthly Product Limits are calculated on a 7-day rolling model
- 1 Week of Flower: Max amount is 21 grams
- 1 Week of Concentrate and Oil: Max amount is 6 grams
- 1 Week of Infused Products (vapes and topicals): Max amount is 600 milligrams
- 30 Days of Flower: Max amount is 84 grams
- 30 Days of Concentrate and Oil: Max amount is 24 grams
- 30 Days of Infused Products (vapes): Max amount is 2,400 milligrams
- Topicals will not count against daily allotment and does not require a medical marijuana card to purchase at a dispensary.
For a more in-depth explanation of the process, visit the Mississippi Medical Cannabis Program.